“Life is a marathon, not a sprint.” I love this quote. And with advances in technology and medicine; we are living longer. So that marathon is now looking more like an ultra marathon. The question is not are we going to live longer. It’s HOW are we going to live our longer lives. Truth is the quality of our life depends on the quality of our health. How we nurture, optimize and protect our health today determines the quality of our life as we age.
Over the next several weeks, I am going to share my Five Be’s to Healthy Living. These are guidelines that you can put into practice to kick start your mind and body (because these two things need to work together) so that you can make improvements in your health. Let me introduce the first Be.
Being aware is about listening to your body. Your body doesn’t have a voice, but it will always let you know if it is unhappy about something you are doing or if it wants you to pay attention to something. Here are a few ways your body talks to you.
1) Low energy. You struggle to keep up your energy, especially in the afternoon and you rely on caffeine and sugar to get you through your day.
2) Uncontrollable cravings. Especially for sugar and other refined foods.
3) Poor sleep quality. You are completely exhausted but when you get into bed your brain goes into overdrive and it’s difficult to get a good night’s sleep.
4) Dull skin and eyes. You look in the mirror and swear you are aging right before your very eyes.
5) Belly fat! You notice you are putting on weight around your midsection and no amount of exercise or dieting will make it budge.
These are just a few ways your body talks to you. Often these symptoms are subtle and gradual, so you might choose to ignore them in hopes that they goes away. Therein lies the problem. When you don’t address these symptoms, your body and mind begins to accept them as what is “normal” for you. You think it is part of growing older and something you must accept. This is dangerous thinking because if you don’t address these early signals, more symptoms will appear and the conditions become more serious such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or arthritis to name a few.
Being aware and ready to take immediate action is the key. All of the symptoms I mentioned above and even the more serious ones can be reversed by making some simple lifestyle changes. In my next post, we’ll begin to dive in to the lifestyle changes that will help you get your health back on track. In the meantime, here are three things you can do right now to get the ball rolling….
- Drink Water. Our bodies are made up of 75% water. It is the foundation of life.
- STOP eating refined, processed foods.
- Breathe. Long, deep breaths help reduce stress.
You will get results and feel better just by doing these three things. If need help or looking for a step by step program to follow, take a look at my personal coaching programs on the site. These programs support you from start to finish and show you how to be the best that you can be. Contact me for a free 45 minute Health You consultation at firstname.lastname@example.org.